APPLICATIONS NOW BEING ACCEPTED FOR A 3 BEDROOM 2 BATH home in our Longhorn Village Condominiums.
Payson Area Habitat for Humanity is always seeking qualified home-buyers for Habitat homes. Partner families are selected based on their level of need, ability to pay and willingness to partner.
The applicant’s current living situation and whether they have the means to qualify for a home with a traditional mortgage lender will be considered. Does a majority of the applicant’s income go toward housing? Is the applicant’s housing substandard or temporary? Applicants who qualify based on their ability to pay will also receive a home-visit to further evaluate their living conditions
Ability to Pay
During the application and selection process each applicant’s income will be considered. The applicants need to have a steady source of verifiable income and be able to pay a monthly mortgage payment which consists of mortgage amount, taxes and insurance. The applicant family must have and maintain good credit with no bankruptcy pending or discharged within the last 24 months.
Willingness to Partner
Each applicant is required to complete a minimum of 300 ‘sweat equity’ hours. The hours can be completed by volunteering at the construction site of their future home or one of their neighbors’ homes, by working at the Restore, by working in the Habitat office or by serving at another community endeavor. Homeowner education classes and workshops are a mandatory part of the sweat equity requirement. The classes are designed to help families prepare for home ownership and manage their finances.
Applicants are required to meet several qualifications to ensure success. In general, prospective homeowners must:
- Be living in substandard housing at the time the application is filed.
- Have lived in the Payson High School attendance area for 12 months.
- Be a citizen or permanent legal residents.
- Prove a steady income that is more than 30% but less than the 60% percent of the Gila County area medium income depending on household size (call us if you’re not sure you qualify).
- Pass a background check.
- Have an acceptable credit rating and history.
- Sustain a savings account over a specified period of time.
In addition, each partner family will be required to:
- Invest sweat-equity hours in building his/her home and others.
- Grant permission for a home visit.
- Be able to pay move-in costs of up to $2,200.
- Be willing to participate in a Homeowners Association (HOA) and comply with Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions (CC&Rs).
- Make timely mortgage payments around $500/month
- Attend homeowner education classes.
EQUAL HOUSING OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT: Payson Area Habitat for Humanity, Inc. is pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin.