Payson Area Habitat for Humanity home ownership applications will be available for pickup during our application period ONLY, from October 4 thru November 1, 4pm.
Applications may be picked up during our “Application Period” at the Administration offices in the rear of the ReStore at 425 N Beeline Highway.
REQUIREMENTS FOR HOME-OWNERSHIP:
The applicant(s) must demonstrate that their current housing situation has one or more of the following characteristics:
- Lack of decent and safe living conditions as defined by the Habitat for Humanity housing evaluation criteria.
- Overcrowded housing conditions.
- Excessive home rental expense. A family should not have to spend more than 30% of its income for housing, not including utilities.
- Applicants must have incomes that are too low to enable them to secure conventional financing from a traditional lending institution.
- Other facts demonstrating a need for the type of housing Habitat can provide, that goes beyond a personal desire to own a home.
Ability to Pay
Each applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Gross household income must be between 30% and 60% of the median income for Gila County at the time of application. The median income figure varies depending on the size of the family. Click here for 2016 income requirements.
- A two-year history of stable income and employment;
- Monthly long-term debt payments, including estimated mortgage payment, should be less than 41% of a family’s income.
- An acceptable credit history, which includes a good record of paying rent and utilities;
- Bankruptcies must have been discharged for three years;
- Ability to cover closing costs and adjustments around $2,200;
- Ability to pay affordable monthly mortgage payments on time without default;
- Must be either a permanent resident or citizens of the United States.
Willingness to Partner
The applicant(s), must be willing and able to partner with Habitat for Humanity which includes (but is not limited to) the following:
- Applicant(s) must be willing to contribute at least 250-500 hours of sweat equity towards the building of Habitat homes, of which 60% must be completed by each primary applicant, working at least 50 hours per month;
- Must have resided in the Payson Unified School District for twelve (12) months prior to applying.
- Applicant(s) must be willing to live in a neighborhood in which Habitat is currently building;
- Applicant(s) must be willing to attend required workshops for success in home ownership.
- Applicant(s) must pass a background & sexual predator check.
- Applicant(s) must grant permission for a home visit.
- Applicant(s) be willing to participate in a Homeowners Association (HOA) and comply with Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions (CC&Rs). (if applicable)
- Willing to pay a $25 per applicant fee for credit/background check at time of application and before signing.